9 Mind-Boggling Things You Didn’t Know About Martin Luther King, Jr.
9. He believed that salvation and subsequently eternity in heaven is not earned by good deeds but is received only as a free gift of God's grace through faith in Jesus Christ as redeemer from sin and subsequently eternity in Hell.
8. In the 1980s, Lutheran Church denominations repudiated Martin's antisemitic statements and have rejected the use of them to incite hatred against Lutherans.
7. He was a seminal figure in the 16th century Protestant Reformation.
6. He maintained that it was not false doctrine to believe that a Christian's soul sleeps after it is separated from the body in death.
5. This inspirational quote is from his last sermon in Wittenburg.
4. Among Martin's list of works include pamphlets titled: "On Christian Liberty", "On the Freedom of a Christian Man", "To the Christian Nobility", and "On the Babylonian Captivity of the Church".
3. He was born in the Holy Roman Empire.
2. He was excommunicated by the Pope.
1. In Martin's book "On the Freedom of a Christian Man", he wrote that "Ein Christenmensch ist ein freier Herr über alle Dinge und niemand untertan. Ein Christenmensch ist ein dienstbarer Knecht aller Dinge und jedermann untertan." ♦