UCLA covered the cost of the security for inflammatory conservative lecturer, Ben Shapiro. Because of a 2009 policy, the Bruin Republicans should be footing the bill because more the 70% of people in attendance are not affiliated with UCLA in any way. UCLA agreed to cover the cost after the Bruin Republicans teamed up with a Pro Bono legal organization who threatened a lawsuit.
According to the Daily Bruin, these security costs could total up to $100,000. In fact, UC Berkeley paid 600,000 in security fees when Ben Shapiro spoke on their campus this past September.
Apparently UCLA can spend 100,000 to host a man who said “If you pay taxes, you’re sponsoring the militant homosexual agenda”, here are some items Satyr believes most UCLA students would prefer instead of a man who looks like a generic Lego Minifigure once chewed on by a Corgi.
- Books for 85 students.
- 5,000 UCLA 3D puzzles.
- 33,333 pairs of shower flip flops.
- Morrisey as Bruin Bash Headliner (even with the knowledge that it will be canceled)
- Only Half of a Psy concert (We at Satyr are aware that Psy is no longer a prevalent cultural figure, but it would still be a better use of funds).
- Give three students a full ride (Yes, only three, but it’s still better than the Minifigure).
- A free class on public discourse (To balance things out).
- Field Trips for 10,810 elementary schoolers to visit UCLA.
- 833 dogs for students to hang out with for a day.
- 344,287 more bananas for B-Plate.
(Both UCLA and Satyr magazine are in support of freedom of speech and protest, and the organization of groups with certain political views are completely justified in spreading a non-violent opinion and agenda.)